Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stagnant Ships Don't Sink, But They Also Don't Sail

Plans. They're pretty important, huh? You need them when you figure out where and when and how to go on vacation. You need them to set up your computer, you need them to build a house, you need them to decide what to do on the weekend, geez, sometimes you even need them to tie your shoes!

But, plans can go awry. Sometimes we take them too far, rely too heavily upon them. Because here's the great and scary news: it's not actually our plan. To an extent, yes. We plan the color of our socks each morning, but the final script is written by the Master Playwright.

Sometimes we, after realizing this, take it too far. God making the ultimate plans does not mean we sit our little behinds in a big comfy armchair and wait for writing to appear on the walls in front of us. We have to be moving, living, and breathing in order to act upon God's plans.

There is this huge war ship owned by the Navy. I forget what it is called. Anyways, there is only one way to make this great vessel turn to the right or left...it must be moving. We are the same. In order to act upon God's commands and plans we must already be moving. We can't see God move if we are stagnant.

At times God's plans have not yet been revealed. I think sometimes we are tempted into a seated position, thinking we can't do anything for the Kingdom if we haven't been handed our life blueprints. This should not be the case. We are to live passionately and obediently with whatever we have in life. God opens doors, and He closes doors. We must simply say, "yes." Often that's the hardest thing to do.

Even once the 'blueprints of life' have been handed over, that's not the end of the story. We have to stay open and listen. These plans can be edited, scratched out, rewritten, and extended at any moment.

I feel called to adopt children globally. I have felt this desire since I was around 10 years old. Still, I can't become stuck in this. I have to realize that this might not be the only plan God has for my life. Often I listen to talks about God's Plans and think pridefully to myself, "Oh, well I already have a plan, this doesn't apply to me." NOT TRUE. I know God wants me to adopt children, but I'm sure there is more to the plan. Maybe I'm to be a missionary, maybe I'm to foster kids as well, maybe I'm to start a business, or a speaker, or own a bakery...who knows! I have to always be open, trusting, moving, listening, willing, and saying "yes."

1 comment:

  1. true, true! Christianity is not a passive religion, as free salvation leads many people to think. It's completely active!

    ReplyDelete