Friday, October 1, 2010

Be The Broom

"Off, off, off...no! Hurry...Hurry! HURRY!! FASTER FASTER FASTER HURRRYYY!!!"


This is the sound of curling on Thursday nights. Bundled up in two pairs of socks, sweatpants, and a giant purple DU hoodie, I was a bit more ready for tonight's festivities. I was a little nervous as I prepared to launch the 45lb iron. Not particularly good at this sport (yet), I didn't want to let my team down too much. The always-deep philosopher, Joshua Michael Wehe, had some good advice. He told me just to roll with it, be the iron, and don't worry about it. Simple advice, but often forgotten. I think too often we don't enjoy life. We worry about what people will think, about who we might disappoint, about failing, or not succeeding enough. We worry about money and materialistic things. Life is, quite simply, about living. If you spend your whole life worrying, you'll reach the end and wonder at what point life passed you by. Eat, love, screw up, run, cry, laugh, read, criticize, smile, yell, sing, scream, and curl. Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Don't worry about what others think, because ultimately, their opinions don't matter. Enjoy your life, love others, never fear (except a healthy fear of God). Life is for living, so live it, and live a life that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment