Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Smell Like Chlorine

Tonight was my first year seminar's "Dinner with the Chancellor." We didn't sit at his table, but we still had good food and great conversation. After scraping the last bits of amazing chocolate mousse from our plates, we climbed to the bell tower.

Ninety-something stairs and a few fears later we squeezed into a tiny room to hear the carillon play a variety of songs to the campus' listening ears. I got to play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star! Realizing that nearly the entire school could hear my banging was nerve-wracking, but I didn't mess up :)



I walked out onto the observation deck and looked out at the skyline. The entire campus was visible, as well as the city of Denver. The view was incredible. No worries, as soon as my photos are downloaded I'll attach them to the note. Anyone who actually reads this should promise to come look again next week, my photographs should be available for your viewing eyes!



As someone played the Harry Potter theme song (making me feel as though I had just stepped into Hogrwarts) I tilted my head back and watched the bells. They are incredible. The largest one is a few thousand pounds. There's an intense system of pulleys and strings and nuts and other mechanics. It was almost scary, standing beneath something so huge. I have faith they won't fall though.


Being at the top of the Richie Center tower, and in the presence of such massive musical instruments, was intimidating. I felt so small compared to these wonders. Staring out over the dark city made me feel even smaller. Sometimes, I think, it is good to remember how big the world is, and what a tiny part we are. Important, yes, but at the same time small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Like sparrows. We're like sparrows.

1 comment: