Friday, October 15, 2010

Frightfully Orange and a Moccasin Boot

This is long overdue. I apologize :) Here are photos of my art projects, and my artist's statement for Frightfully Orange:










                                                  Frightfully Orange

Exploring new mediums and experimenting with unknown tools, this work is a transformation in many ways. The beginning 12” by 12” by 1/2” block of MDF is long gone, in its place resides something Frightfully Orange.
This title may seem odd, as my piece, a fork with a carrot speared on its prongs and the face of an electric socket, is neither orange nor scary. Parents, grandparents, and other wise adults are constantly reminding children to “eat your greens!” Carrots are incredibly good for your health, yet they are not green. After becoming a vegetarian, I became more exposed to the variety of fresh fruits and vegetables available. Not only am I represented through the randomness of the fork and electric face, but my passion and interest in health and vegetarianism are also embodied.
Band saws, sanders, Chop saws, Dremel tools, and a Radial Arm Saw, these were not tools I was familiar with before my project. A chop saw to cut my initial strips of wood. A Band saw to cut out the basic shape of a fork. Much sanding, carving, and gluing later, my fork emerged. The Dremel tool assisted me in carving the face and the grooves in my carrot. A great deal of tape and a few dabs of glue later, my carrot and fork were one, and the project complete. 


No comments:

Post a Comment