Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fear, Fire, and Farts

Yay alliteration! That was the only reason for the title.

Yesterday I read this story:

"Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We are going to drown!"
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

There are many great parts of this story, but what stuck out the most to me was the line, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"

I was so struck by this passage that I grabbed the nearest Sharpie and scribbled it on the back of my hand. I woke up bright and early this morning for yoga and discovered the words happily printed on my face. Note to self: do NOT sleep on the back of your hand.

I'm not really sure why those words of Jesus stuck out to me so strongly. I don't think I've been afraid recently. I supposed I have, though. It's difficult not to worry about how people view you, if they will judge you, what they think of you, and then allow that to influence your life. I believe that's what this verse is saying to me. Do as Jesus says, don't fear people. Jesus will take care of me. I don't ever need to tremble in terror in the face of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment