Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Spiderish Cupcakes and Long Green Fingers

Done with our workout and walking back to our dorm, Katherine received a rather sinister, "come to the kitchen" text. Slightly worried and wondering what on earth was going on, I figured someone was having a huge argument or something, we hurried up to the room. It was packed with people, the fullest I've ever seen our kitchen. "Surprise!" everyone yelled, launching into a fabulous rendition of "Happy Birthday." There was a huge monster made of cupcakes in the middle of the table. It was covered in piles of green and purple icing, green fingers and toes protruded from the arms and legs, and two big eyeballs rested at the top. The red "Happy 18th Katy" was accentuated by a few large plastic spiders. It was definitely the best Halloween-birthday-cupcake-cake ever. I really love my floor family. They're so awesome. The cupcakes were completely unexpected, and so very, very sweet. It made my day! 


So yeah, I'm 18! Craziness. It was a fabulous day. I woke up and just felt very full of Jesus and life. It was lovely. Then the sun was shining, and I went to yoga. It was super cold today though! Very windy. But I was glad it was sunny, as opposed to yesterdays grey skies and rain. As I walked to class I listened to Fall Out Boy. I haven't listened to them in forever. I love that band so very much. 


Despite being an adult, I still manage to act rather childish. I enjoy the simple things in life. So even though I'm legal, I still stepped on every single crunchy leaf that found its way into my path. 



Fall is great. I don't like the cold, or the winds that literally freeze your bones, but the colors are spectacular. The air has a crisp, fresh taste to it. The biting cold is almost refreshing the for the first few moments that it brushes against and snaps at your face. And leaves, ah, leaves. Walking through leaves is such a treat. I love dragging my feet through the shallow piles of golds, crimsons, oranges, and greens. The leaves crunch and break beneath my feet. It's freeing, a simple joy, one of the many unnoticed pleasures that life has to offer. Try it. Growing up, gaining privilege and freedom is great, but treating some things with a childlike sense of amazement and joy is equally wonderful. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment