Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Favorite Radical

I am not a terrorist.

Phew. Glad I got that one out there, I know you were all worried.

In my last post I talked about a comment made in one of my classes regarding radical religion. The individual stated that when one is radical in their religion, they're usually a terrorist.

I would like to think that I am radical in my religion.

Now that brings up the argument of religion and whether or not it should be religion or a relationship and all that, which I will not go into now. But the general understanding is that Christianity is a religion and I am a Christian, but one bound by love not law.

See, I've dedicated my life to trying to be like Jesus. And Jesus was a bit of a radical.

He came and dispelled the law. He taught love in a world of sin and hatred. He said to love one's neighbor above one's self. In a self-centered world, He put others above Himself, above His own life. He loved the weak, healed the broken, touched and cleansed the sick. Instead of stoning the adulterous woman, as was common at that time, He said "whoever has no sin cast the first stone." He died for the un-deserving, He gave His life, His freedom, and His love to set those captivated by the wages of sin free.

He was radical because He went against what was "natural," "traditional," against the status quo. The pharisees taught the law, Jesus taught love. His teachings were "relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something." His words of compassion, care, mercy, and love were "advocating or based on thorough or complete political or social reform," a social reform that did not include a huge war like many Jews at the time anticipated, but the ultimate sacrifice. 

Jesus was a radical. As one seeking to be like Him, I want to be a radical, too. Counter-culture, going against the flow, living a life based on what I know to be true and right. My religion is, or should be if it isn't yet, radical, and I am not a terrorist, or violent in any manner (except for the advocacy of the killing of bugs...they're creepy).

No comments:

Post a Comment