Monday, April 30, 2012

Cool Story, Bro.

I love this story. My mom emailed it to me awhile ago and I like periodically re-reading it. It's from a letter sent out by the JESUS Film Project.

It's just so cool, so amazing, so uplifting, so encouraging to hear about and see the incredible work Jesus is doing around the world. 

His film team had taken a courageous step, going into a village in a dangerous, mountainous area. They brought a DVD of “JESUS”... The team gathered about 250 people into a community hall, plugged a small DVD player into a television already there, and closed the windows for secrecy. It was crowded and tight and the screen relatively small, but everyone stayed and watched the entire “JESUS” film.

When it came time for the team to give the invitation to receive Christ (another courageous act that could get them killed), a man sitting on the floor quickly stood. He opened his shirt and turned around so all could see.

Strapped to his chest were explosives...a suicide vest. Panic set in...

“Wait...wait! Don’t leave. I’m not going to blow myself up. I need to tell you what just happened.” It took several minutes to convince the people to stay, and at last they did.

“I heard that you were going to show a blasphemous film. I went to my leaders, and they agreed you should die. I strapped on this bomb and came to kill you all.
“When the film started I reached for the detonator and tried to push the button, but as I watched the TV, Jesus turned and pointed right at me. He called my name and said loudly, ‘Don’t do that...follow Me.’ He spoke in my own dialect.

“Over and over I tried. Every time I reached for the button He pointed to me and said, ‘Don’t do that...follow Me.’ My hand froze every time. I couldn’t move my thumb. I gave up and just stayed to watch.

“Now I believe. I want Jesus to be my Savior. Can you help me know more about Him?”

The team leader said, “Yes, of course, but first you must take off that vest!” The would-be suicide bomber went out from the building, far away, took it off, disarming the explosives. He returned and the team prayed for him - but that’s not all.

Remember that this is an extremely dangerous area, one intensely hostile to Christianity. Anyone leaving their traditions can expect to be killed.

Yet the Word of God contained in “JESUS” spoke to the people. It was a powerful experience as they learned the truth of the gospel. Further, the people were amazed by this man’s testimony. He was a radical who would stop at nothing. They knew that had just seen a miracle.

When the film team leader asked who wanted to receive Christ and pray, everyone did...all of them! The next day, the team held a service where 250 new believers were baptized into their new faith, including the man with the suicide vest!
How powerful is our God. How loving that He claimed a would-be suicide bomber as His own and everyone in that room the man had come to destroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment