Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 12 - What, no extra shirt?!

Jesus sends the disciples off for an adventure - Luke 9:1-56

I just love that this study titles this day with Jesus sending the disciples on an adventure. Not a mission, not even a quest or journey...an adventure

It's cool because it's so true. With Jesus, this life isn't just living, it's an adventure every moment. It's full of peril at the hands of the bad guys, rescue by the handsome prince, the ultimate treasure, and the greatest gifts. 

Jesus doesn't say it will be easy. In fact, he promises it will be super hard. But it's okay, because He has overcome the world. We are called to take up our crosses, lose our lives, and deny ourselves. We're called to never be ashamed of our Jesus, and He will in turn not be ashamed of us. We must lose our lives to save them, give up our will and trust our King. 

Questionsssssssss:

-What do you think were the disciples' first thoughts when told to take nothing for their journey?

"Holy crap, what am I going to eat and wear, and how am I going to sleep without a blanket?"

After that initial freak-out, they were probably pretty confused. There are "basic necessities" we feel we can't live without, and they probably felt a little deprived. Maybe they didn't understand why they couldn't have these things, because there is nothing inherently sinful in or about them. But, per usual, there was more to the situation than that, and also as usual, Jesus knew best. 

-How hard is it for you to live without the "essentials?" What do you think lies behind the belief that you need all the "stuff" in your life?

I've never really tried, but I think it'd be pretty hard. I mean it's hard enough to give up the extras - clothes, new technologies, etc. I think there's partially just a belief that we do need that stuff, fed by the society surrounding us. We're surrounded by a society constantly striving to have more, never content, never satisfied. And it's nice to be comfortable, it's easy to be drawn in by the "need for more."

-What is it in your life that might be an idol of dependence for you? How hard would it be for you to let go of it today? Why?

Probably my phone. I have it with  me constantly. It's my timer, alarm clock, notepad, and most importantly, means to contact friends and family. I don't know how life would work without it. 

-Trusting God to provide for our basic needs is easy, but what about the deeper needs like relationships, careers, or the future? Are you dependent on God for all things, some things, or nothing? Why?

Honestly, I think it's easier for me to trust God with relationships, careers, and the future. Those things aren't as tangible. God providing money for me is more tangible, it's a physical need of a tangible things, but my future is more ambiguous. 
God has really helped me in the past months, though. I've been able to really stop worrying about money, not completely, but mostly. I just totally trust that He'll provide, my basic needs are met, and way over. God has shown me what He wants me to do after college and earning money wont' be part of that plan, so I know He'll provide money to pay college loans, because I'll be doing what He wants me to do. 
So I think I"m dependent on God in most things, slowly being transformed to trusting Him in all things. 

-The disciples are given power to proclaim the good news to the surrounding area; they are essentially ambassadors for Christ. What fears keep you from being an ambassador for Him?

I'm afraid of people. Their response. I tell myself I'm afraid that they won't accept Jesus, but there's, to be entirely honest here, a part of me that's afraid of what they'll think of me. A part that's afraid they'll think less of me for believing in "that religious stuff." But that part of me is utterly prideful, totally sinful, and definitely a Satan-scheme. It's one that needs to go, and only Jesus can take it. 
Also I think I'm afraid, a little, of failing. Of trying to share who Jesus is and the awesome things He has done and it coming out wrong, my excitement over how awesome Jesus is being misinterpreted (I get misinterpreted a lot. It's a problem) and Jesus' name not being glorified. 

-Can you trust God for the way people will either receive or reject your sharing of the gospel?

I'm slowly learning to. I have to give that up and remember that I'm not in control, this isn't my life anymore, it's all part of Jesus' plan and He works in spite of us and our failings.

No comments:

Post a Comment