Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 05 - It is written.

Faithfulness under temptation. Luke 4:1-13

Jesus was in the desert for 40 days without food. That's awhile. When He got out, He was weak, tired, and probably really wanted to eat. So Satan figured that'd be the opportune moment to tempt Jesus, to try to get Him away from God. 

"If we expect to grow, we should expect hard times, we should expect God's Word to always prove true, and we should expect to be tempted to think otherwise."

Questions, Questions, Questions...

-Why would Satan choose a time when Jesus was weak physically to tempt Him?

Satan figured that'd be the best time for Jesus to give in and give up. Since He was physically weak, Satan probably figured Jesus was mentally weak as well, and it would be the perfect time to break His will and separate Him from God. 

-What temptations come to you when you are physically weak?

I think when I'm physically exhausted, I'm most prone to give in to complaining and being very self-focused. 

-In what ways can you identify with Jesus' temptation (fame, power, food, or material things)?

Of these above I think the greatest temptation is just material things. Especially in our society, it's so easy to want more and feel fully justified in getting more. So often we're working a job we hate to get a bigger house, a nicer car, and to have the best and most current appliances and electronic devices. It reminds me of Fight Club, "advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh** we don't need."
I mean, let's be honest, compared to the rest of the world we all live pretty darn comfortably here. But we could always be living more comfortably. I'd like to have a car. I'd like a smart phone. I'd like more clothes (what girl doesn't, and Pinterest sure isn't helping!). We live in a consumerist society, and material things are most certainly a huge temptation. 

-In what areas have you failed to resist temptation. Why do you think that was?

This blog is going to become a broken record, isn't it? Failed resistance to temptation: complaining, gossiping, jealousy. I let myself "not care" what God things, or "ignore" the voice in my head saying, "Katy, don't say that, don't think that, don't wish you looked like them or had the things they have or were as well-liked as they." I choose to let it slide, I cover up that whisper in my hear, reverberating through my mind, and I say those things because in that moment they make me feel better. I complain, because in that moment, it's relieving. I look at other people and wish I had what they have, looked like they look, had the talents they have, whatever, because somehow in my head that is a solution. I focus on me for those moments, and then later, acknowledge my sins and realize how greatly those momentarily "relieving" or "pleasurable" things were really detrimental. 

-Jesus emerged from the desert ready to go where the Father would lead Him. How willing are you to go into the desert to prepare for God's calling on your life?

To be honest, I'm very willing. I used to be super worried about my future and what I would do (how is an art and journalism major supposed to adopt and support kids from around the world???), but God has helped me so much to be willing to go, do, say, be whatever, wherever, and whoever He wants. I'm excited for whatever (hopefully) crazy-awesome adventure He has planned for my life. 

-Having trials in our lives isn't something we look forward to. What is your current attitude about trials and hardships in your life?

Well, surprisingly enough, trials and hardships are, well, hard. And they suck. And sometimes, it's miserable. But without them, we cannot grow. I am glad for hardships and trials, because I've seen myself grow because of them. Without trials, would we really rely on God to be there for us, to provide for us? Faith is strengthened by hardships, I fully believe that. So, my attitude towards them is thanks. I don't necessarily like it in the moment, or right afterwards, but down the road, looking back, those trials and hardships that seemed like huge chasms we could never get across have have bridges of love strung across, Jesus getting us across and holding us together along the way.

-What hardships have caused growth in your life recently?

As with previous questions, I reserve the right to not disclose some details on my nicely public blog. So talk to me if you want to know all (except not all) the deep dark secrets and struggles of my life. But in a broad overview: family, parents, friends, freshman year stuff, and money. 
I'll talk about the money "hardship" for a bit because that's not super personal. I've always thought it would be great to be rich, or at least well-off. Life would just be so much easier, right? Recently I remember thinking to myself, "I'm really glad I'm poor" (poor being a relative term, depending on who I'm being compared and contrasted with). I was shocked I'd had that thought, and then realized it was absolutely true. I'm really glad I don't have money, because I have learned to rely on God, and it's been awesome. He has provided for me, with scholarships, wonderful grandparents, and by helping me be content. I'd so rather have to rely on God to provide then have tons of money and not get to learn about His great provision for His children. 

-In following Jesus' example, how can you make the scripture more integral to your life?

I think first is just reading, and not just reading, but studying and analyzing and praying over and pondering the Bible. And honestly, the more you get of it, the more you want. It's like drugs! It gets so exciting, reading something and seeing where it connects somewhere else, seeing the intricate web of Jesus' love laced through the pages. It's beautiful. And the more you read the more you understand about Jesus, and the more you want to be like Him, so the more His word becomes a living, breathing, active part of you life.

No comments:

Post a Comment