Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mountain Drizzle, Mountain Dazzle

Today it rained. I haven't really experienced much cloud coverage or precipitation in Denver, so today's weather seemed abnormal to me. I love the smell of rain though. That's something about St. Louis I will definitely miss. Walking outside early in the morning and smelling the rain still hanging in the air from the night before, or the promising scent of rain to come. I think the lower humidity level in Denver changes the smell of rain, but it's still welcoming.

After my Analytical Inquires class (a basic computer programming class), I biked to the Safeway to make a few necessary purchases. The sky was absolutely breathtaking. I'm sorry, I know, I talk about the sky and clouds and sunsets a lot, but they're always so different and unique and fabulous! I was headed west (I think) towards the mountains. The dark purpleish hues of the clouds nearly perfectly matched the color of the darkening blue sky and mountains in the distance. I can't really describe it, and I didn't take a picture because a moment like that simply could not be captured, but I wish I could have saved it for you all to see.

I arrived at the Safeway and bought my necessary items (all-natural peanut butter, italian dressing, and honey). It's rather sad that nearly all dressing contains corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup. Ew. I miss being able to make my own dressing at home! I'm sure the checkout guy thought I was an insane anorexic girl who only consumes condiments. Not the case, I assure you. My entire fridge is filled with fruits, vegetables, soy milk, orange juice, and water, plus the recent addition of dressing and peanut butter. Yum.

I was biking back to DU and saw a super neat painting on an alley wall. I can't remember exactly what it looked like, since I was biking past, but I liked it, and I'll try to remember to take a photo of it sometime in the nearish future :)

In my fsem (first year seminar class - From Lyric to Lyrics: Poetry Then and Now) class today my teacher, Alba, assigned us to, in addition to three daily observations, make one (or more) of those observations about inanimate objects that we could give meaning and life and put into a poem. Many poems are about relationships, love, people, they're narrative. Often people get caught up in the story in the poem, instead of the language and words and imagery and the poem-ness of the poem. Using things, instead of people or events, can tell a story, but force people to pay more attention. One thing I thought of and noticed is pennies. Whenever you see one lying on the ground you stop and pick it up. It's just a penny, a 100th of a dollar, which isn't even that much money anyways. Yet, we still love to find pennies on the ground. A 'lucky penny' can brighten nearly anyone's day, because of the positive connotations that we generally associate with these tiny bits of copper and zinc. They're great. Needless to say, I found a penny on the ground today, prompting this random discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment