Monday, September 13, 2010

Introductions, Beginnings, and Reasons

Just incase anyone is reading this, and just incase you are wondering why I picked my title, here's the reasoning. I'm an artist. I focus in photography, though I love all forms of art. Last week I was at the Denver Art Museum and had the opportunity to look at their photography collection. Some of the photographs were inspiring, some sad, some strange, some simple, and some beautiful. One of the best things about the exhibit was the quotes painted along the base of the walls. I read them, loved them, and stored them in my phone for later perusal.
"One day I realized: that's what almost all artists have in common - they all managed to continue being a child." - Unknown
"The photographer must have and keep in him something of the receptiveness of the child who looks at the world for the first time, or of a traveler who enters a strange country." - Ruth Thorne Thomsen
Upon reading those quotes I realized how very true they are. As an artist I am constantly viewing the world with a sense of wonder and excitement. I am often struck by the simple beauty of a common scene, vibrant colors, or a unique shape or thing. While reading a book for my poetry class (Poems. Poets. Poetry. by Helen Vendler) I read another inspirational quote.
"Many people, writers and nonwriters alike, see the world imaginatively: to accompany such a person to a party or an exhibition or a play is to see the event more keenly and more vividly than one might have done alone. The world takes on more color; things are seen from a new slang; events are freshly interpreted and highlighted; a vivacity of response is summoned up." - Helen Vendler
Although this statement is primarily about writers, I think it applies just as strongly to artists and musicians.
And one last reason for the name...
I cannot remember the specific Bible verse, but there is a passage in the Bible when Jesus reminds and rebukes His disciples about their faith. He tells them to have the faith of children, for without this kind of love and faith and trust, they shall never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
As a Christian and an artist I wish to view the world through the eyes of children, starting and ending each day with a sense of wonder at the world God has created and I am privileged to inhabit.

No comments:

Post a Comment