Sunday, September 19, 2010

50 Years From Now...

Today I went on a scavenger hunt in downtown Denver with my International Living Learning Community. We're like a big, happy family. It's fantastic. After the scavenger hunt, which was quite fun, we went to Oktoberfest. It's some German festival thing, I was a bit confused. Mostly, there was a lot of beer...plus it's American Beer Week, so there really was A LOT of beer.




We were walking around, taking in the sights and smells, and we came upon a group of people performing German dances. It was so cute! They were all older couples, probably in their 70's and they were dancing together. That was my first 'Daily Observation.' I definitely want to be like that when I'm an old married woman. I want to still be completely in love with whoever I end up marrying, joking and laughing and playing games and dancing.


The clouds were really neat as we wandered about. One particular group of clouds had a really interesting shape. I can't really describe them. They looked a little like a swan, or a pointed heart, or maybe a slightly de-fingered peace sign. Don't worry, I took a picture :)

The rest of Oktoberfest was fun. We got food and I had some absolutely fantastic almonds and cashews and pecans. Half of the pecans were covered in some cappuccino mix and the others in cinnamon and sugar. Let me tell you, those were fantastic. I also had a delicious Jamba Juice smoothie, the five fruit one. I highly recommend it. We ate and then did a little German dancing ourselves. I'm sure we looked ridiculous, I know I did at least! Either way, it was fun. That's what college is about right? Having fun? Actually I think it's supposed to be about getting good grades, passing classes, becoming used to sleep deprivation, and eventually having a job, but 'having fun' just sounds more...fun.

My last observation was made a mere twenty minutes ago. By the way, I just realized it is technically Sunday, but this post is counting for Saturday. It's only a few minutes after midnight! (Here's where sleep deprivation comes into play) I've never seen Glee, but a few people from my floor are huge Glee fans. I'm more than willing to join their forces, I like movies with singing and dancing, so I'm pretty sure I'll continue to like this show with singing and dancing. One of the characters, Emma, makes a very good point while trying to convince her fellow co-worker to pursue his dreams, not a fat paycheck. Here's the quote/conversation:

Emma Pillsbury: Do you know who that is? That's you, Will. That's you happier than I've ever seen you.
Will Schuester: That was the greatest moment of my life.
Emma Pillsbury: Why?
Will Schuester: Because I loved what I was doing. I knew before we were half-way through with it, I remember that we were gonna win. And being a part of that, in that moment, I knew who I was in the world. And the only time I felt that way since then was when Terrie told me I was gonna be a father.
Will Schuester: No, no. I need to provide for my family.
Emma Pillsbury: But provide what exactly? The understanding that money is the most important thing - or the idea that the only life worth living is one that you're really passionate about, Will?



That's really very smart, and pretty common-sense, but not a lot of people seem to follow this advice. Personally, I think it is far more important to be happy, and do something worthwhile with your life, then miserable and making lot of money. When I had to choose a major for college I had to think about this a lot. I love art, but I probably won't make much money from this. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy many school subjects. History, science, and math aren't fascinating to me. There's nothing wrong with other people loving these things, they simply don't appeal to me. I decided I would rather be a happy, poor artist, than a rich and miserable accountant or something. I may change my major sometime over the next four years, but it won't be because I'm afraid of not making enough money in my future, it will simply be due to a change in interest. I think it is very important for us to live by what we are passionate about, not what we think society will approve of, or even what our parents or friends or neighbors would desire. We should live free lives, for the glory of God, not for a sweet mansion or BMW. 

No comments:

Post a Comment