Sunday, September 19, 2010

If We Didn't Have To Eat We Would Have So Much More Money...

I went grocery shopping today, I'm not fond of the price of food. I bought two cute little squash, and a baby pumpkin for 49 cents each though! They're reminding my room that it is fall, even though the weather outside is still a gorgeous 80-90 degrees :)


I'm not sure what I was thinking about at 1 am this morning (I"m counting that for today, by the way), but something prompted the thought of unknown things, which prompted this:


Unknown


Unknown Eyes,


Unknown,
Watch
Judge
Decide.


Unknown
Unknown surround
As you, hasten


Bye




Today I went to Denver United for church. This is the second Sunday I have attended. I love the church so much! The worship is great, everyone is so into it! People seem to be fully present, just worshiping Jesus, not worrying about what anyone thinks of them. Hands are raised high in the air, eyes are closed, as everyone sings their love and thanks and praise to the One who saves. The college classes before the service, and the sermon, were awesome. My other two Daily Observations come from church today. 


The college class is going through John. Last week we talked about Nichodemus (NO clue how to spell his name) and this week we discussed the Samaratin (again, my spelling skills escape me) woman at the well. The main characters in these two stories are pretty much polar opposites. Nick (yeah, I gave him a shorter name...) is a very legalistic, uber-religious man who has spent his entire life studying the Bible. He really only views it as a law though, he can't seem to get to the love and forgiveness of Jesus aspect. Ms. Sam (that's her nickname for the time being) is 1. A Samaratin, they're pretty much hated by the Jews because they are only half-Jewish, and 2. has had five husbands and isn't currently married to the man with whom she is living. Jesus came to both of these people where they were at in their lives and meets them. He doesn't make them change, or wait for them to figure out the error of their ways alone, He meets them where they are in life and loves. The passage talks about how Jesus HAD to go through Samaria. Geographically, He did not, but He did NEED to meet with Ms. Sam. This passage also reminds us that Jesus, though fully God, was also fully man. He was weary from his journeys. Yet, He still met with Ms. Sam. These two points simply remind us again that Jesus will meet us wherever we are in life. WHEREVER. No matter how deeply immersed in sin, hate, or distrust we are, He will meet us, He will love us, and He will save us. That was so encouraging to hear and such a wonderful reminder. It's always wonderful to be reminded that it's ok, God will love me no matter what. I don't have to hide when I've sinned or failed. Jesus will love me and forgive me and He will always want me.


Water. That was the third thing that really stuck out to me. As I write this I'm drinking a bottle of water. It's really helping the analogies to apply to real life, plus then I won't get dehydrated, I am in the mountainish areas, after all. The Bible talks about water a lot, and water really is a beautiful analogy of Christ. We talked about three ways this applies (there are many more) in class today. 


Think about a river. When it washes over you it rinses away any grime you have caked upon your body. It cleanses and refreshes, leaving you washed and happy and free. The Holy Spirit does the same thing to our souls, sweeping over us and erasing the refuse of our sins. 


Picture the Grand Canyon. It was carved out by water. Water can cut through anything, even stone. So it is with God. He can get through to anyone, to matter the level of their sin, lack of faith, or general stubbornness. He never gives up. He never stops loving. He never stops carving. 


You can't live more than three days without water. Physically, you will become dehydrated and pass away. Without Jesus we would spiritually die. I think that is the most simple of these three images, yet it is the most powerful. Daily we can see the necessity of water in our systems, and daily we can see the need for God to fill that "God shaped hole" that every human possesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment