Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 16 - Why worry?

You're much more valuable than birds - Luke 12:1-34

I love Matthew's version of this teaching (it inspired my tattoo) and love reading a slightly different take on it (ravens instead of sparrows later in the passage, etc). It's really cool to see how the four gospels work together, weaving a slightly different story along the same time-line, showing different aspects and attributes of Jesus from their different perspectives, personal experiences, and walks of life. It's quite beautiful.

This is a really wonderful passage that should be read so much more often. It's just such a good reminder - Jesus gots this! He knows what's up, and He's in control.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

"When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say." 

"Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."

"For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!"

"And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."

   
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. " 

The point is, Jesus cares for us, Jesus loves us, and Jesus will provide for us. 

"Jesus is a genius. He doesn't just tell us not to worry, but leads us to change our focus and priorities. And this, as it happens, is the cure for worry." 

It means not worries...for the rest of our days. It's a problem free, philosophy...hakuna matata! (except, really I mean Jesus) 

Diggin' Deeperrrr. 

-What anxious thoughts, worries, or nightmares keep you awake at night? What sins in your life or doubts about God or decisions that you've made are affecting your ability to trust God?

Recently a friend I desperately want to know Jesus' love and am terrified never will. A friend I'm terrified won't stop self-harming, terrified one day they'll go too far. Terrified they'll never believe they're loved, never believe they're worth it, terrified that I'll fail in showing that love and care. But last time I literally couldn't sleep because of these fears (a few days ago), God reminded me that it's out of my hands. All I can do is my best and trust Him with the rest. And maybe I've been doubting that God can, or rather that He will. I really do believe God's ability to do anything, but sometimes I struggle with believing that He will

-Jesus calls us his "little flock." What do you think He was trying to convey to us by this?

He's our shepherd, our father, He cares for us as one cares for their children. I think this verse just goes to further illustrate how deeply Jesus cares for us, how He doesn't want anything bad for us, How He works all things together for our good, even if we can't see or understand it at the moment, the end is good. Psalm 100 says, "It is he who made us, and we are his we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." 


-We are called to run after different priorities than the world does. Are the priorities in your life causing you rest or anxiety? 


I don't think school will ever truly be restful, but I think it's possible to relinquish control and worry about grades and assignments to Jesus and feel peace. And with Jesus' help I've been able to, for the most part, do that. Periodically the growing mound of things-to-do before summer looks just a bit too high, but Jesus has been helping me to look at it, give it to Him, do what I can do and leave the rest up to Him. 
I'm not sure if I'm fully finding rest in anything right now, though. Which isn't something I'd even realized until now. So I definitely need to be praying about that, not just relinquishing my desire for control over everything, my stress over school or work, and actually find rest. 
Though I have found rest in the knowledge that Jesus is in control, and that no matter what happens, my life is in His hands. 


-How quickly do you draw near to God in moments of doubt and worry?


Quicker than I used to, but still not quick enough. My first reaction in many trials is still to call my mom or tell a friend, my first go-to should be Jesus, placing worries and doubts on His shoulders, because He takes our burdens from us, freeing us. Often, too, it depends on the doubt or worry. I'm quicker to depend on Him in moments of doubt about money or jobs, college, grades, the like, and slower to hand over my fears about friends and family. So much growing to do!


-The heart moves toward whatever is most valuable to it. What is your heart moving toward? Why?


Right now my heart is really moved towards helping and loving people, as well as seeking justice for the oppressed. That is just what I feel passionate about, I cant' really pinpoint a specific moment or reason, except Jesus giving me a desire to further His kingdom and do His work. The plight of the unloved, the orphan, the slave, cry out to me, and I cry with them. I just want to help, I just want people to know they are loved and to be free from bondage, whether it be mental or physical bondage. 


-You might be worried right now. If so, what might God be asking you to do about that?


Give it up, trust. Just hold my hands open with all my fears and worries and relinquish them into the wind of His power and grace. 


-What do we understand about Jesus here?


He's beyond awesome. He's just so incredible. He made this beautiful world, and cares about each and every part of it. The lillies, ravens, sparrows, and us. His handiwork is so clear in the simple things of the world, how much He loves them, and how much more He loves us. That's an amazing amount of love. We needn't worry about a thing, because we have a father who cares for us more than we could ever comprehend. Our needs are accounted for, He will not let us go. He works for our good, not what we perceive to be good, but what is truly good for us, and we can trust Him to do that because He is the all-knowing, all-powerful God of everything. He is good, His plans are good, and His love is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment