Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 26 - It is finished.

Jesus finishes the work - Luke 23:26-49

One of the men crucified beside Jesus mocked Jesus, taunting Him, "if you really are the Son of God, save yourself," he said. The other man seemed to understand what was going on a little better. He rebuked the other man, reminding him that they were getting what they deserved through this punishment, but that Jesus had done nothing wrong, He didn't deserve to die, He wasn't getting a "just punishment" for He ha done nothing to merit punishment. That man was saved through his faith, Jesus said they would meet again in Heaven.

After Jesus gave up His spirit and died, one of the centurions who had been part of the crucifixion, maybe even helped nail Jesus to the cross, said, "surely this was a righteous man," and praised God. He realized the truth too, he recognized the savior, and he too was saved.

How much Jesus loves us, He forgave everyone there and asked God to do the same, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." Through His life, death, and resurrection came the salvation of the world.

Questions:

-Why do you believe some of Jesus' closest followers were standing at a distance?

I don't really know. Maybe they were afraid of being associated with Jesus for fear they too would be hung on a cross to die. Perhaps they weren't allowed nearer by the centurions guarding the scene. Or maybe they just couldn't bear to be that near to their dying Jesus. I don't think I would have wanted to see Jesus' suffering and death so up-close, I would have wanted to cry from a distance, weep and mourn and hide my face from that awful sight.

-What thoughts enter your mind as you consider the freedom we have in approaching God because of Christ?

Joy, thanks, and a realization of how deeply unworthy I am. Wonder and awe at the beauty of that freedom because it is so undeserved, because like the robber recognized, I my just deserve would be death for my sinful nature, but instead Jesus took that and died for me. All my sins upon His shoulders. He sacrificed everything for our freedom, that's the beauty of the cross.

-In your prayer life, how do you exercise the freedom to approach God with anything? How much are you experiencing the freedom that Jesus provided for you on the cross?

I pray a lot, often when I'm walking to class, running, swimming, or just privately in my room. I tell God everything, possibly sometimes too much. Not "too much" in the sense that God shouldn't know some things - God already knows everything! - more like I can fall into not revering God the way I should, using Him more as a diary to channel all my thoughts and feelings. Pray includes what should be there - praise, thanks, request, confession - and what maybe should be kept to my written diary - complaints, random thoughts, drama, etc. My prayer can often be too casual, I need to appreciate that freedom to approach God with anything and be a bit more reverent of the holiness of that connection and remember the price Jesus paid to grant that freedom.

-What areas of your life are difficult to daily crucify to Christ?

Self-centeredness. My goal is to wake up each morning and my first thoughts be on Jesus, praising Him, thanking Him, and dedicating the day to Him. Too often I find myself just thinking about me, typically how much I'd rather still be asleep, or about my day and what I'm going to do or wear. Time flies by and I realize I haven't given Jesus one single thought yet.

-The cross is the finished work of Christ. What areas in your life do you need to believe God when He says, "it is finished"?

In the times when I'm not strong enough, when I'm not strong enough to keep pouring into a one-sided relationship, or a person is just too frustrating, when I don't understand something, school is too overwhelming, the burdens of bills and payments are too much, all the things I cannot do alone, I have to just give up. I need to believe that Jesus takes all my burdens so I don't have to do anything on my own. He knows the end results of all the things I am questioning or when I'm still struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel. "It is finished" says I don't need to see the light, but simply trust that it's there and Jesus will lead me through the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment