Thursday, March 8, 2012

Self-Centered

Time for Katy to rant for a little bit.

Sometimes, America just frustrates me beyond belief.

With the publicity about Kony, sharing of the film about him, and general cry for justice, there have also been negative comments, questions, and feedback, as is generally true with anything of this sort.

Many of the questions and arguments are valid, Invisible Children addresses them in a response on their website. I understand these things, and I think people on both sides of the issue should be open to questions and new information. What I cannot deal with, however, is the incredibly self-focused America-is-the-best-and-only-important-country-in-the-universe attitude. I understand skepticism about the campaign, Invisible Children, or if this will work. Saying America's economic issues are more important than thousands of children being abducted and forced to be child soldiers, thousands of Africans being brutally killed, countries and homes ripped apart...that is not understandable in the least.

As I was performing my normal procrastination through Facebook stalking, I came upon this post:


Let me just say, I got so pissed. I would like to think it was a righteous, founded anger. I simply cannot understand how people can be so blind, so self-focused, so uncaring. Yes, the internet has had some dumb fads, particularly the broom one (which is legitimate. I've seen photos on the internet of people balancing their brooms. I don't understand the fascination). But "Konying"? Really?

This is not a stupid "fad." Yes, it is a video that has gone viral, but it is something with substance, something with meaning! It's not about whether or not you can balance yourself on objects (planking), or swallow a spoonful of cinnamon (ew/ow). This is about human rights, this is about fighting for people who cannot fight for themselves.

As a general rule, I don't get into Facebook battles. Periodically, however, if I feel passionate enough and have lots to say, I enter into the fray.  Needless to say, this upset me enough to add my two (may I venture to value it at three?) cents:

"Even the poorest people in the United States are far richer than many of the people in third world countries. I agree the issues in the US should be fixed, but injustices like those of child soldiers and slaves in Africa are far more tragic. If we can do something, we should, and making sure people know about what this man does is essential. Yes, it should have been publicized a long time ago and stopped then, but it wasn't. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take a stand now. The US is important, but it's not the most important. And since we have money and resources here, we should use those to help countries with no resources, no human rights, and no one to fight for their right to liberty, freedom, and justice. Everyone deserves to be free, and no child, or adult, should be forced to kill, no one should be forced to have sex against their will, ever, no matter what country they are in."

Mostly, it doesn't anger me, it just deeply saddens me. No, this was not the worst or most self-centered/America-centered Facebook post ever, but I am still sad that people feel the US is so much more important than anywhere else in the world. Even the homeless have better lives than many in third-world countries. I'm not trying to downplay their suffering, not in the least. I cannot imagine having no home, little food, and being in the cold all the time. I enjoy as much food as I want, water, a shower, clothes, a wonderful education, and far more that I most certainly take for granted. Even still, the homeless in America typically have access to a homeless shelter, often at least someone is willing to stop and give them some money or food. It's possible to survive is what I'm getting at. These countries...not so much. They have nothing, no one, violence all around.

There are many people at my church in St. Louis who have come to the United States as refugees from the Congo. A man came to my church once and told us part of his story. He was hiding in a bush from attacks by a warring tribe (I think) and actually watched his entire family be killed. He saw it. His whole family. Before his very eyes. Killed. I cannot even begin to imagine. The thought of anyone in my family dying brings me to tears, to actually watch them die would be far more horrific.

This is the sort of thing that happens in other countries. The United States' financial and economic difficulties, that's like a grain of salt in the cup of sugar. There are far, far worse things happening. If we can make a difference, we should. And we can make a difference. So don't let the Kony 2012 campaign be merely a "fad." This is important, nothing like owling, planking, or tebowing. This matters. So do something. Be the change. Don't let America be known as a nation that thinks it is better than any other country. Everyone has a right to justice, no one should live in fear. No one should be forced into slavery, whether its through sex, forced labor, or forced to be a soldier. Everyone has a right to freedom, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Very well thought out post.

    I don't know how you can treat an issue like the one presented as a "fad". A fad is a popular but short lived object or symbol in my opinion. Like clothing and beeny babies or planking.

    Equating people to a "fad" is inhuman, cruel even. Its easy to dismiss people when you are safe on a computer or watching TV very far from the pain people are experiencing.

    (Minor political theory which is somewhat relevant) The presidential candidate Mitt Romney has been accused quite often as being "out of touch" because of remarks like "lets bet $10,000". I believe that because of his life style and because of his money this is the actual case. He doesn't really see people suffer because he doesn't "have" to not that they don't exist. Its comparable to the out of touch queen of them all, Marie Antoinette and her famous line "let them eat cake". Something she had in abundance in her safe palace while the people had been starving on the streets.

    Its the same thing when we are sitting watching a video about very true events. The video disconnects us and we become out of touch. People have varying levels of empathy for others and it is very different for all of us. The person/s that discount this probably don't have a whole lot of empathy... While fixing our economy is important, and so is building up a proper foundation fixing issues to keep the country strong. However to not reach out to the suffering you will not build that foundation by ignoring the world around you.

    I hope that they come to an understanding that this issue is very real. This is very wrong. This requires action.

    ReplyDelete