Monday, November 1, 2010

The Irresistibility of Fallen Leaves
















Some fall days are just perfect. The sun is warm and comforting. The sky is a brilliant cerulean. You look up and see an array of bright colors, starkly contrasted against the blue. Shocking reds, dazzling yellows, and luminous greens create a patchwork above you. To further the perfection of this fall day, the trees have left us gifts - leaves sprinkled on the ground before us.


There is something so quintessential about dried fall leaves on the ground. They're so perfect, with their crisp edges and bright colors. Even the tattered, brown, or crushed leaves have sharp edges and intricate details. Sometimes the only word to describe them is crunchy. I feel as though every time one sees a leaf they are faced with a question. To step upon that inviting and satisfyingly crunchy leaf, or simply admire it, preserving it's beauty and perfection.



Last week my art class carved pumpkins for Halloween. Stepping outside to place my pumpkin with the others along the wall, I entered a world of scrap metal and fallen leaves. My excitement bubbled up. After docking my pumpkin I ran inside, grabbed my camera, and spent a few minutes blissfully capturing every winding vine, sharp leaf, and rusted metal I saw.





It might seem so strange, but I was almost breath-taken by the beauty of that moment. Enclosed by a concrete wall, there were bits of scrap metal, long pieces of rusty metal, and half-finished sculptures littered about. Leaves were sprinkled everywhere. The sun was shining and the sky was bright blue. Everything was vibrant and clear.






The world is a beautiful place. I know there is pain and suffering, broken people and despair, hurt and loss. But one can't deny, the world is still a beautiful place.












No comments:

Post a Comment