Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prophecy of Protests

But Love 
hung on a tree
Bruised body, blood flowed
Love died so 
we could be free

Love didn't look at skin or color
Love didn't look at nationality,
legality
Love look at souls
and said we're brothers
Blood flowed
for every nation, 
tribe and 
tongue

But we've forgotten. 

And now 
the prophets of the streets
crying like Pentecostal priests
Beating chests and
stomping feet
Begging
those choosing blindness
to see

See our pain
Feel our fury
Our righteous anger
rages
against injustices you pretend 
can remain unseen

You were born with this freedom
to close your eyes
We were born into a world 
stabbing us from behind

So don't bring your Bibles,
shove your tracts 
drag us down aisles
You weren't here from the beginning
Fighting to break chain,
set captives free

"We have nothing to lose but our chains"

Our battle cry is freedom
justice,
equality for all
Jew and Gentile
Slave and free
Now the verses can read
Black and white
Upper class and lower
College educated, GED

You know, He's crying with us 
shouting, marching
Beating chest and
stomping feet

Don't think you're bringing Jesus to us
He's already here,
on the streets
Prophecy of protests
Righteous rage against
iniquity 
Jesus, the revolutionary

God with us
On the ground with us

Love doesn't look at
skin or color
And Love hung from
a tree

It is our duty to fight for our freedom
Love has already won the day

And we have nothing to lose but our chains
We will fight to lose our chains


- - - - -





                Ferguson has changed me. Broken me. Built me. My heart breaks again everyday, and the pieces are held together by the community around me. I do not yet know fully what Ferguson has done in my life, and we have yet to see the full extent of what it will do in our world. But I sense the world changing around me, paradigms are shifting, in my own life and all around me. I am beyond grateful to be part of this movement, and to those who have given themselves to fight for justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment