Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksday

I got on Facebook today to post the obligatory "Thanksgiving" Facebook post, expressing the typical gratitude for family, friends, and food. I started typing, the words flowing from my fingers with barely a thought,

"Today I'm thankful for so many incredible friends and an amazing, supportive family, for a God who loves me far more than I deserve or can ever imagine, and for the amazing things He has done in my life."

Pretty decent words of gratitude, right? I mean I listed thanks for the wonderful people in my life and then gave the glory to God! What more could you want? Sure to get plenty of Likes (I'm at 18 right now...if anyone would like to make me a little more popular feel free. Just kidding). But then I realized something, I don't just have amazing family and friends and an indescribably incredible God one turkey-infested-Thursday a year. I have those people, and far more, every single day.

Feeling rather convicted, but still obligated to post a Thanksgiving-thanks status (which is probably a whole 'nother issue of how much I look for validation from social media), I added this to the end of my thankful post,
 
"I'm also reminded that I don't give thanks enough, because these are things I should be joyful for every day!"

But I realized. I don't want to stop at at fifty-nine silly words posted on a social media site that a few people will see and (probably) no one will remember, because it's Facebook and it doesn't shouldn't matter. 

I want to be giving thanks everyday, and more than once a day. 

But not only do I want to be doing this, I should be doing this. The fact that I fail to give thanks frequently is a massive problem. Everyone has something to be thankful for, and I especially know I have much for which to be grateful. I have been so blessed in my life, God has done so much for me, and He has used my family and friends to bless me incredibly as well. 

Me not observing and giving thanks and praise for the blessings and wonders in my life points to a greater problem: my own concern with and focus on myself. Such selfishness will only bring me to even more focus on myself, and even less wonder in the glorious world surrounding me. I aim to wonder at the world and the gifts of God more often, thus taking the focus off myself and putting it back on God, where it should never have left. 

Because the world is beautiful, full of breathtaking, incredulous sights and moments. People are fascinating, full of quirks and stories and love. And God is indescribable in His mercy, justice, power, and love. And when these are the things of which I think and speak, life will be so much sweeter.











No comments:

Post a Comment