Monday, April 1, 2013

A yellow dress, a branded X, a hope restored


She grasped my hand and pulled me away. We couldn't understand a word the other said, but I knew she wanted me to follow her.

With gestures and Hindi words I didn't know, she showed me her world. Little huts of concrete, straw and sticks, sparsely furnished; worn clothes hung from clothes lines strung between trees. I saw the pond, if you could call it that, more piles of trash then pools of water. My sandaled feet crunching through dry earth caked with refuse.

Clinging tightly to my hand she led me to the rooms where women cooked, sewed, cleaned. She tried to teach me a few Hindi words, none of which I can remember anymore.

She put her thin arms around me, tightly wrapping them around my waist. I picked her up and carried her effortlessly on my back. She was so small, her arms and legs so thin, she seemed so frail. She couldn't have been older than 9 or ten, the same age as my baby brother.

Looking at her, the sweet innocence and childish joy, the way her big dark brown eyes sparkled when we danced to my American tunes and her Bollywood, I would never have guessed the things that had happened to her. I couldn't believe the things that had been done to all of them, to all the young girls and women there.

I was at a home in South Asia for girls and women rescued out of the sex-slave trade. I couldn't, can't, even begin to fathom the utterly unspeakable things they've had done to them, the things they've endured. Ripped from your family, forced into a life filled with fear and the knowledge men would take advantage of you over and over every day; it is a life I cannot even scratch the surface of understanding.

As we drove to the home, through the narrow dirt roads of Kolkata, I prayed.

I prayed because I anticipated it being the most difficult, heartbreaking day of my life. I prayed to see God, because I feared I would only see hurt and hopelessness.

I expected a veil of sadness deep in the eyes of the girls, whispering of the unspeakable things done to them. But the veil was gone, lifted.

I know breaks and bruises remain. Scars, brands and rough tattoos tell stories of deeper hurts than I can ever know, but it was so very clear they were all free; free from the physical bonds of slavery and from spiritual and emotional captivity.

Their pasts are darker than I can fathom. Forced to be prostitutes, raped again and again, day after day. In those darkest of dark days I'm sure they could not imagine freedom, thought they'd never see light.

But now, despite the hurt and heartbreak of slavery, what I saw most was hope. Hope because fear is gone. The veil has been lifted, they will never be taken advantage of again, the fear of being raped every single day is gone. The hopelessness of slavery has been vanquished.

I saw joy on the faces of the girls and women, because they had been rescued and redeemed.

Girls about twelve or thirteen spin around the little wooden dance platform. I joined in the dancing. We jumped and spun and twirled. My little friend tried, vainly, to teach me the Bollywood steps. We tried to ballroom dance across the wood floor, taking turns spinning each other, our skirts twirling around our ankles.

We didn't speak the same language, but it didn't matter. Gestures and smiles spoke more than I would ever have known they could.

There was so much joy in her big bright eyes. She was so, so beautiful; so full of life. All the girls were like that, beautiful and joyful, only their scars telling the stories of their abuse and abandonment.

A girl's yellow dress spun out, her bare feet pounding the wood floor. She reminded me of my younger sisters, twelve and fourteen, so young and innocent and utterly full of joy. Beside the X's branded onto her face, a whispering shadow of her past, I saw the sparkle of restored childish hope and innocence in her eyes, because she was finally free to dance and sing.

And I saw that hope on the face of my little friend, holding my hands as we danced the world into a blur.

(This was written for a journalism class, telling a story of a moment or memory that impacted or influenced my life)

No comments:

Post a Comment