Saturday, December 22, 2012

Closing Remarks (South Asia 9)


South Asia changed me. In the short span of a mere week, I became a different person.

I have a higher tolerance for gas station bathrooms, because nothing will ever be as disgusting as some of the toilets I used in South Asia.

Chilly showers are definitely not pleasant, but also not the end of the world, and I appreciate the seemingly endless stream of heat from my shower-head so much more.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, water from the tap, and food that hasn't been fried three times are some of the greatest gifts to my United States world.

A few horns, a little traffic, and slightly crazy drivers are nothin, and I'll never complain about a three-hour flight again.

I have a deep appreciation for clean streets, not piled high with dirt and trash.

I am thankful to live in a country privileged enough to recycle my water bottles, or better yet use my own water bottle because even our tap water is clean, not have to crush my water bottle after using it to ensure it isn't filled with dirty water, super-glued shut, and sold as "new" to unsuspecting buyers.

I am more aware of seeking to live for Christ each and every moment, not to have times where I'm zoned in only on me, but to always be aware of the people around me in need of Jesus and willing to go to them, whether I'm busy or not. Definitely a work in progress, but I'm trusting the Lord to change my heart to be more others-centered.

I am so focused on me, myself, and I. My comforts, my time. But in reality it's His time, His life.

In South Asia I experienced more joy and fulfillment than ever before in my life (see The Heart of Jesus) through serving others.

I have always been someone who serves, I like to help people, like to make people happy. I like to give gifts and love on people, but so often serving is become an obligation. I want to, but I don't like it in the moment. I'm glad to help mom by washing dishes, but don't necessarily enjoy washing them.

In South Asia I experienced utter, complete, consuming joy in serving. I wanted to wash laundry. I wanted to wipe off dirty faces, I wanted to give my time and energy to the "least of these." That experience was completely, 100% from God, and I am so grateful to Him for giving it to me, for allowing me to see His heart and serve Him through serving in South Asia.

It was such a blessing to see Him so clearly, and to experience Him too. By loving and serving I was able to also understand God's love for me more clearly. I was able to give to people who couldn't give back, just like God gives to me so freely without expecting anything back, and often not getting anything back because I am selfish and sinful. But He loves me anyways, He loves me always.

South Asia taught me about true joy, true love, and true service. I was able to see Jesus in so many different ways and so many different places. It was wonderful to see His faithfulness and truth halfway across the world.

He is the same God today, yesterday, and forever. He is great, He is beautiful, He is loving.

I will never forget that trip, and Lord willing, one day I'll be able to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment