Sunday, November 11, 2012

Supporting Sights

God will provide. He always does. But I'm not gonna lie, the thought of raising about $3,000 in about a month has been mildly daunting, to say the least. South Asia is less than a week away and I still need $2,000. I'm not worried, overwhelmed, or stressed about that seemingly high number, God will provide. 

I realized I was totally at peace this morning when I was thinking over the dollar amounts and the to-do's of traveling. I'm not worried, and that's a beautifully freeing thought. 

"And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7 

Truth be told, I haven't been fully at peace for this whole journey. It's been difficult. Raising a high amount of support isn't easy, especially not the first time. I've prayed for provision and I've prayed for peace. 

It's so easy to slip back into placing it all on your own shoulders, focusing on the "what if's" instead of leaving it to God and His fulfilling promise of "I will."

About two weeks ago I was struggling a bit. I'd spent hours writing my support letter and then addressing and stamping envelopes and it had been a week since I'd mailed them all off. Every day I checked my mailbox (okay, okay, a few times a day) and each time it was disappointingly empty. 

Though fully confident God would provide, I was still feeling a bit disappointed with a hint of overwhelmed stress thrown on top. Friday of that week arrived and I walked back to my apartment from class praying about the trip and raising support. I asked God to please just let there be a check, one check, in the mail that day.

As I opened the mailbox I was trying to be confident there'd be a letter, but honestly, there was still a little doubt in the back of my mind that took the form of bracing myself for the disappointment of an empty box. But God is faithful, even when I am not. And when I opened that mailbox, there was a letter, and from my grandparents too, accompanied by a sweet note about how they'll be praying for me. 

By last Wednesday, however, I had only received one other check and was sitting at a steady $200. With three weeks and $2,800 left to raise, money was definitely on my mind. Through the course of raising support I've been praying, a lot. And it's been so cool to see how God has changed my perceptions. 

So Wednesday as I was walking back to my apartment I was praying about support, asking for God to provide and to give me the ability to fully trust Him through the situation and that He will provide, just maybe not the way I think He will, and that He wants me in South Asia, so He'll make sure I end up there. 

I had two letters in my mailbox, but forgot to open them. A few minutes later I got a text from one of the leaders on the trip, Kristen, asking how support raising was going. I was about to text back that I was still at $200, but remembered the letters and opened them. One was for $100, the other for $250, which were both just amazing blessings. Then I got a text from a family in my parents' house church, asking what the online giving account number was. After I gave it to him, he texted back saying they had deposited $300 in the account! 

Within a span of literally five minutes I went from $200 to $850! It was incredible to see how faithfully the Lord provided. 


Since I've received $150 more, and am in need of $2,000 more by November 23. I know God will provide, and I feel such peace that His Will will be done in His perfect way. If you'd like to be part of His provision in this, however, go to give.cru.org/, put in the account number 2875125, specify that it's for Katy Owens in the comment box, and then let me know via email/text/Facebook/a comment because I don't personally have access to checking that account. 

Most importantly, pray for me and everyone else going on this trip as we prepare to serve Jesus and share the gospel and continue to raise funds to get there. 

Jesus is so good, and His love is everlasting and enduring, and that's what matters the most. I'm so excited for the opportunity to serve Him, humbled by how I have seen Him move already, and I can't wait to see how He continues to provide now and when we are in South Asia.  

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 

No comments:

Post a Comment