Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Will You Join Me?


Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.” Psalm 82:3

Hi!

I wanted to take this opportunity to update you a little on me, and invite you to be part of something exciting happening this November. I'm entering my third year at the University of Denver, majoring in Studio Art and Journalism. My relationship with Jesus has grown so much and I have been incredibly blessed with the the friends I have made and amazing communities I am part of. One of these is Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ). I've been involved since my first year, where I have met my closest friends and joined the Leadership Team. This winter, Cru is going on a mission project to South Asia! 
 
Though I can't disclose the exact location I'd love to tell you what we'll be doing. We will be spending many afternoons talking with students on college campuses about their lives and religious beliefs and in turn sharing with them the good news of Jesus' love for them and the hope of salvation. We will also be working with the homes for the destitute and dying and working with women and girls who have been rescued out of the sex-slave industry. 
 
The country is predominately Muslim and Hindu, and less than 1% of the population are Christians. Women and young girls are forced into prostitution. There are millions of orphaned children. South Asia is desperately in need of hope and salvation, which I truly believe can only be found through the gospel of Jesus' love and grace for all. I can't express my excitement to be part of sharing the good news of Jesus with people who have may have never even heard about Him before. 
 
There is an established Cru team in this country, with seven dedicated staff in a city of 20 million. They are ministering in slums, on college campuses, and planting churches. Denver Cru has a partnership with this country, Cru has served there before and will continue to serve as the Lord leads. Our vision, as Cru, is to see this ministry grow as more churches are planted, the good news of Jesus' love is preached, and we continue to see God move in South Asia. 
 
I'm asking you to partner with me on this project, both prayerfully and financially. The mission trip is from November 26 to December 5, and the cost is $3,000. This will cover travel, food, and other expenses such as shots and a visa. I need to have all the money raised by November 23. Would you consider partnering with me with a gift of $50, $100, or more? Of course, however the Lord leads you give is the right amount and such a blessing. All gifts are tax deductible and checks should be made out to “Cru.” On a trip like this, your prayers are most necessary and so appreciated, as we go into the darkness and spread the light of Jesus Christ. 
 
Please mail your gift to me at 1930 S. York Street #207, Denver, CO 80210. There is also opportunity to give online. If you would prefer this option, go online to give.cru.org and type in account #2875125. Please indicate that the gift is for Katy Owens in both the “Add Comment For GPI WSN India Partnership” and the “Add Comments For Donation Services” boxes. The account is a general account for the whole team, so I will not be notified of your gift. Please contact me via phone (314-616-3319) or email (katy.owens.du2014@gmail.com) to let me know about your gift.

Matthew 25:40 reads, “The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'” I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to go out and be the hands and feet of Christ and serve “the least of these.” Thank you for your support, I am so blessed for individuals like you who can help make this journey possible.

Love,
Katy

1 comment:

  1. Girl I am praying for you and will support you in every way possible, I know you will have an amazing trip and will be a beautiful reflection of Christ to those in need.

    ReplyDelete