Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Coaster Toaster

One of my friends once told me when he ran track races in high school he'd imagine Jesus was waiting for him at the finish line to help him run faster. I've tried this in my own running life (no racing, though) and found it didn't really work. Not that I wouldn't sprint with all I had even if my legs were heavy with exhaustion and my lungs burning like I'd swallowed a campfire if Jesus were waiting for me, I just can't seem to psych myself out into imagining He is. I guess since I know all that's waiting at the end of the run is a slightly air conditioned house (though I must say, it feels pretty amazing after running in St. Louis' crazy 100+ degree weather), I can't seem to make myself sprint the last few blocks.

I used to think that's how I wanted my faith life to be, though. I wanted to die sprinting to Jesus' arms with my dying breaths, falling into His arms, utterly spent. But if I'm sprinting there at the end, then I must have just been jogging along the way. I don't want to spend my life just jogging along at a decently easy pace. Sure, a few hills, but none too steep to stop me. Yes, there'd be sweat and breathlessness, but overall just a jog, plugging along through my life, getting through the not-too-hard struggles and making it in my own strength.

I don't want to jog. I want to run, run as hard and fast as I can until my legs give out and my lungs explode and then keep running. When you run a long distance you pace yourself, save energy and keep the pace steady. That's not how I want to run my race. That pace involves too much planning, saving strength for the end. I want to use all my strength at the beginning, sprinting along and trusting God will give me more strength when I've run out. I don't want to save a little faith and a little power and a little strength for the end of the race. I want to live a life that pours all I have out to bless others and glorify God. I want to spend it all, I want to love so deeply and live so fully there's nothing left at the end. I don't want to have enough left to even sprint when the finish line is in sight.

But at the end of it all, I've decided I don't even want to be running. I want to be shooting in on a roller coaster, as fast as the drop from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags that I will never, ever ride. If I'm running my strength is still pulling me along, but if I'm on a roller coaster, it's just me relying on the cart, the rails, the coaster. I want Jesus to be my roller coaster, supporting me fully as I fly into heaven with total thrill.

I want a life race full of adventure, sprints, and utter dependence on Jesus, living and loving with my whole heart and soul.

1 comment: