Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lost And Found Somewhere In The Zoo Of Our Lives

You are five years old again. Staring at the tigers you marvel at their strength and beauty and colors. Maybe you just think they're cool, or scary, I don't know, you are only five. Whatever your reaction to the giant cats. you are fascinated. All your attention is focused on the tigers, none to your surroundings. You turn, see your family leave, and begin to follow them towards the next exhibit. Suddenly, your father comes up behind you, scoops you up in his big arms, and hugs you tightly. He tells you how worried he was when you were lost, how you should never do that to him again, and how glad he is to have you safe. For a shocked moment you are silent. Then you burst into tears, wrapping your arms tightly around his neck, squeezing your father as though your life depended on it. Until that moment, you thought you'd been following your family, but as soon as your father rescued you, you realized they only resembled your father and mother from behind. You were following the wrong people, you were lost, and suddenly your father had found you. Although you never had the chance to feel afraid, as you were unaware of your situation, the moment you were found, you realized how dire your situation had been. Tears of relief and joy pour down your face as you bury your head into your father's burly chest. Safe and protected, you are home.

So is our experience with Jesus. Often we don't realize we are lost until after we have been found. I felt that way tonight. In a room full of people praising and worshipping God, I became very emotional. I prayed a lot, praised the Lord, and shed many tears. At one moment I felt like I was standing beside Jesus. He wrapped His comforting arms around me and I just began to cry. They weren't tears of sorrow, or shame, or repentance. I wasn't even sad. Confused, I didn't understand my tears at first. Then I realized they were tears of relief. Gut-wrenching, face-redding, gulping and gasping tears of utter relief. Safe, home, protected, and alive, I had Jesus by my side. I was lost and found. I AM found. I AM safe. I AM loved. I AM home.

No comments:

Post a Comment